Our  Lady of Sorrows School History



Our Lady of Sorrows, 575 Slocan St., Vancouver B.C., is a Catholic Independent School, established in 1926. On August 26 of that year, the school was solemnly blessed by His Grace Archbishop T. Casey; on September 7, it opened its doors to the ninety-nine pupils who registered that first year. Four Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul, Halifax, formed the first teaching staff. Since then, there has been an enrollment of up to three hundred eighty-five pupils (1963), and as many as eight Sisters on the staff, with classes from Grade One to Grade Eight inclusive.

                                   

 

       The first lay Principal was appointed in September 1970.



   


                                     







The Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul ended their sixty years of service in our school and parish at the end of June 1982.

      At the beginning of September 1982, the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence began their ministry in the school by assigning a Sister to assist in the Kindergarten class. Currently, there are 234 pupils from Kindergarten to Grade Seven inclusive, the equivalent of ten full-time teachers and a lay principal. One member of the part-time staff is a Sister of the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence.

                                         



 

      In September 1994, Our Lady of Sorrows School initiated a parish-operated preschool for three and four year olds. A total of 40 children attend afternoon classes in groups of up to 20 children in each class.



Share with us your pictures and reflections!  ourladyofsorrows@telus.net