NOVEL CORONAVIRUS – UPDATE FROM FISA AND MR. BALLETTA
Recognizing the safety and health of all members of our school communities is a primary concern. Updated and accurate information on potential threats, such as the Novel Coronavirus, are extremely important.
As mentioned in the recent Deputy Minister’s Bulletin, the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) and the Ministry of Health (MoH) are advising that the risk to the general public, including school-age children, from the Coronavirus is very low. The PHO and the MoH will continue to communicate with school authorities and provide updates as required.
As we are a Multi-Ethnic Community, some of our parents or families may have travelled over the holidays to areas which were affected by the Virus. We have been in contact with all families about screening for symptoms prior to their return. However, this process will depend on parents reporting their travels. As there are only 2 minor cases reported in all of BC, the risk to our school community is extremely low. We are asking parents NOT to panic or make families that may have visited Asia feel uncomfortable. We understand there are students and staff with compromised immune systems which are at greater risk for infection. Therefore, we ask all parents to keep feverish or flu symptom children at home to reduce the risks, as well as wash hands regularly and cover coughs and sneezes. Again, good health practices as with the “normal flu” virus is encouraged to prevent the spread of all viruses.
You may also visit these Sites for up to date information:
- February 3, 2020 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer – https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0020-000210
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- Novel Coronavirus Q&A from HealthLinkBC: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus
- BC Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)
- Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/he
FEBRUARY 7, 2020 – MASS GRADE 2 CLASS
Parents and Grandparents are welcome to join the OLS School on Friday, February 7th at 9:00 a.m. for Mass. PLEASE NOTE FULL UNIFORM (Sweaters and Black Shoes) are MANDATORY for all School Events. Please send students with proper uniform for ALL MASSES and ASSEMBLIES. Intermediate students have the ability to keep school schools at school in lockers. Thank you!
FEBRUARY 10-14, 2020 – CATHOLIC SCHOOLS’ WEEK
Monday, February 10th is the start of Catholic Schools’ Week. This week is designed to promote the many aspects of the Catholic school community. This community helps guide its people in their devotion to the Faith. By celebrating different facets of Our Lady of Sorrows School, we continue to strengthen the bonds that are the foundation of this Catholic Community.
- February 10th (Monday) – PJ Day
- Students can come dressed in their PJs
- Students will be reading books to their buddies
- February 11th (Tuesday) – Jersey Day
- Jersey Day
- 7 class plays against teachers in a floor hockey game
- February 12th (Wednesday) – Red Day
- Red Day
- Children’s Variety Telethon Pin Day (notice to pre-purchase the $3 pin was sent home on Tuesday, February 4th)
- Grade 7 Bake Sale
FEBRUARY 13 and 14, 2020 CATHOLIC EDUCATOR’S CONFERENCE – NO SCHOOL
All teachers will be attending the Catholic Educator’s Conference on Thursday, February 13th and Friday, February 14th. The school will be closed for these two days.
FEBRUARY 17, 2020 – FAMILY DAY – NO SCHOOL
There will be no school on Monday, February 17th due to the Family Day holiday.
FEBRUARY 23, 2020 – FAMILY MASS – 11:30 a.m.
The Family Mass will be on Sunday, February 23rd at 11:30 a.m. We invite all families from OLS to celebrate the Family Mass with our OLS School Choir. The OLS Family Mass is a great way for our families to attend and participate in the required Sunday liturgy. The Knights of Columbus usually have a pancake breakfast FREE for our students after the Family Mass, so we hope you can all enjoy and participate in this important celebration.
FEBRUARY 23, 2020 – FIRST COMMUNION ENROLLMENT MASS
There will be an enrolment Mass for all Grade 2’s on Sunday, February 23rd at 11:30 a.m.
FEBRUARY 24, 2020 – MANDATORY CONFIRMATION MEETING
A confirmation meeting will be held on Monday, February 24th at 6:45 p.m. in the gym. This is a mandatory meeting for sponsors and confirmands.
FEBRUARY 26, 2020 – MASS GRADE 3 CLASS
Parents and Grandparents are welcome to join the OLS School on Wednesday, February 26th at 9:00 a.m. for Mass.
UBC EARLY DEVELOPMENT STUDY
The UBC Early Development Study will take place on the mornings of February 24, 25, 27, 28 and March 2 – 6. Only students who returned their consent forms with authorization will partake in this study.
2020 INCOME TAX RECEIPTS
The 2019 school tax receipts will be available at the end of February 2020. Further details will be sent home with students.
GRADE 7 FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE REMINDERS
- Bottle Drive– The Grade 7 Committee’s Bottle Drive is ongoing! We ask that you help support our fundraising efforts by returning your bottles in the transparent bag supplied to you with the pre-printed label containing our account number on it to an Express Depot near you. Just drop off in a designated drop zone and go! If you require more bags, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating how many labelled bags you would like, your oldest child’s name and their grade.
*You may also use your own transparent bags and print labels at your local Express Depot using the schools phone number (604)253-2434. Simply attach the label to your bag, drop and go!
- Rescheduled McDonald’s Hot Lunch – The Thursday, January 16th hot lunch (missed due to the snow day school closure) has been rescheduled for this Friday, February 7th.
- Sugarfina Raffle – This one is popular everyone! A beautiful Sugarfina Trunk worth approximately $275, with 20 Sugarfina boxes included, is up for grabs! Tickets were sent home with your oldest child last week. More tickets are available at the office or by emailing email@example.com. Tickets are 3 for $5, 6 for $10 or 9 for $15. The cut-off date for buying tickets is Friday February 7th.
- Grade 7 Fundraising Pub Night – The Grade 7 Fundraising Committee will be hosting a Hawaiian themed Pub night and we are hoping to fill the house, so mark it on your Calendars! Ticket forms will be distributed soon.
YOU HAD ME AT ALOHA! 🌺
April 4, 2020
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
FEBRUARY HOT LUNCHES
|February 6, 2020 (Thursday)||Pizza|
|February 7, 2020 (Friday – Gr. 7 Fundraiser)
*Rescheduled from January 16th
|February 21, 2020 (Friday – Gr. 7 Fundraiser)||Hot Dog|
|February 27, 2020 (Friday)||Chicken Strips|
Please note, as the weather gets colder and rainier, we are asking parents to ensure students have proper Jackets and shoes, as well as NOT sending students who have gym in the morning only with PE strip! Students MUST stay outside until 8:35 a.m. as we have to ensure adequate supervision in the school while teachers are in staff prayer. Also, students may have to be outside throughout the day for recess or movement between the buildings (gym and Church). Please send jackets with hoods for your children to school daily, as well as ensuring proper uniform. Thank you.
If you are unsure of what to do on a snow day, please follow the Extreme Weather and Snow Weather Procedures which is located in the download section on the school website (www.ourladyofsorrows.ca). Please do not call the school as the phones will be busy. Our Website will be updated by 7:15 a.m. as it is difficult to predict the exact times when snow may fall. Thank you for your diligence.
NEW OFFICE EMAIL
For all absentees and inquiries, please note that the email addresses for our OLS office have been merged into one email account. Please ensure you update our contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARENT PARTICIPATION SIGN IN BINDERS (SCHOOL)
For parents who participate in the school, we remind you to complete the sign in sheet with your name on it in the appropriate binder. Please ask office staff for assistance to locate the binders.
Student safety is very important! Please arrive early and drop off prior to 8:45 a.m. The playground area is supervised from 8:15 – 8:45 a.m. and 2:50 – 3:05 p.m. Please follow drop off zone rules! Please do not block the driveways as we have regular deliveries and drop offs in the morning as well! Also, please refrain from bringing dogs into the playground areas or school as it contravenes the Health By-laws. They are fine to wait outside the playground. Thank you for your attention to all matters related to student safety!
For the safety of our students and staff, all visitors and parents are required to report to the school office where a “Visitor” tag will be issued if needed. We ask that all parents/visitors only use the Main School entrance on Slocan Street to enter the school. During instructional time, parents are not to go to their child’s classroom. Any supplies or lunches (labelled with child’s name and grade) are to be left at the office. It is your child’s responsibility (not the office staff) to retrieve their lunch or supplies from the school office. We also wish to restrict calls home for supplies and lunches, so please have your child review daily routines and help them to prepare for their day prior to bedtime. We encourage your children to bring all necessary items to school daily.
It is very important that you call the school by 8:30 a.m. if your child will be absent or late. This will eliminate the need to call you to check if your child is home. Upon your child’s return to school, you must send a note to the classroom teacher explaining the reason for the absence. Please also include all dates absent. If you have more than one child, we require separate notes for each one. This information is required for our annual Attendance Audit which determines our Government funding for the year. We ask that all notes be written at home, not last minute at the school office. Absentee notes may also be emailed to the following email address: email@example.com
The After-School Club runs from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The cost for this is $5.00 per 30 minutes per student until 4:30 p.m. After 4:30 p.m., the cost will be an additional $10.00 per student per 30 minutes. The Music Room is the location for the After-School Club. Children are to be picked up using the outside Music Room door (Turner Street side of school) and must sign out before leaving.