Mrs. Bond (Teacher Librarian/Resources)
* To promote reading – “reading for enjoyment” and “reading for information”, thus increasing the students’ success in all subject areas.
* To ensure that students and staff are effective users of information and ideas.
* To empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers and ethical users of information.
* To collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement lessons and units of instruction, and to assess student learning and instructional effectiveness.
LIBRARY MANAGEMENT DUTIES:
Mrs. Morena (Library Technician) works on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
* Catalogue and code new books (400 yearly averages)
* Prepare books for circulation
* Reserve, circulate, renew and discharge (weed) books and other materials
* Provide assistance to teachers and students by locating materials and helping complete special projects
* Answer routine reference inquiries
* Guide patrons in finding and using library resources, including reference materials and computer use
* Train student library monitors and supervise their work
* Sort books, publications and other items according to procedure and return them to shelves or storage areas
* Deliver and retrieve items throughtout the library and school (classrooms) by hand or using pushcart
* Take action to halt disruption of library activities by problem patrons
* Organize and maintain records relating to circulation and library material/equipment
* Issue identification cards (Library cards) to borrowers and enter and update patrons’ records
* Send out OVERDUE library book NOTICES
* WEBSITE: Design, customize, update and maintain Library web pages and Update Databases (Library web page & Photo Gallery)
* Circulation reports and Year-End Library book INVENTORY
* TAKE PHOTOS of New Library books, Library Display Boards, student Library activities and Special School events (upon request) for the Library and School Website
* Prepare books for binding (tape edges to prolong life of books)/ Repair damaged books
* Design posters and Library Bulletin boards and special displays to promote Library programs
* Early Morning “Outdoor” Supervision duties (Mondays & Fridays
“The Library is more than just books;
It is a place where meaningful experiences can foster the love of literature and learning”.
For this reason, various school-wide events and activities throughout the year help to achieve this:
*Character Dress-up Day
*Classroom Door Decorating Contest
*Family Literacy Day
*Readers Are Leaders
*“Read, Write and Roar” (BC Lions with LEO the Lion)
*Author Visits (Brandee Buble in 2015 & 2016 and Eric Wilson on April 28, 2017)
We sincerely look forward to working with your children again this year and watch them grow as readers!
If you have any questions, please contact us at the school.
AS ALWAYS…HAPPY READING!!
Mrs. Bond & Mrs. Morena