COVID-19 – UPDATE FROM MR. BALLETTA
As you are probably aware, Notre Dame Regional Secondary has closed today and for the remainder of this week – see the letter attached.
The cause was related to a tested Parent from Saint Francis of Assisi School.
St. Francis of Assisi Principal was notified on Tuesday, March 10th that a parent of the school has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Vancouver Coastal Health informed the school that the school community is at low risk. However, out of an abundance of caution, the school has made the decision to close the school for the remainder of this week, through Spring Break.
St. Francis of Assisi School is a feeder school to Notre Dame Regional Secondary. Notre Dame staff and students have recently been in contact with students from St. Francis of Assisi. Although the risk is considered extremely low, the school has chosen to take pre-cautionary measures and close the school for the remainder of the week.
Both schools will be taking appropriate measures to ensure that the facilities are cleaned and sanitized before students return to school on Monday, March 30th.
At present there is no direct risk to our Community or our School as we continue to take every precaution to stop the spread of germs which include:
- Wiping down desks and doors
- Encouraging all students to wash their hands or use the hand sanitizers
- Coughing into your elbow and not touching your eyes or putting them into the mouth
- Avoid shaking hands
- Staying home if they are sick
- Informing the school of any travels by the family and students outside the country upon your return
* Please note we will stay open and continue with our AGM tonight. However, if parents feel their children or their families are at a higher risk of the flu by having a lower or compromised immune system, please feel free to stay home. We ask that you inform the office by sending in a note for the absence.
MARCH 2020 – LENTEN CONFESSION
Students will have an opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation as follows:
- 3 & 4: Monday, March 30th (9 a.m.)
- 5 & 6: Friday, April 3rd (after 9 a.m. Mass)
- 7: Monday, April 6th (9 a.m.)
MARCH 11, 2020 – IMPORTANT DATE! MANDATORY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Mandatory Annual General Meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 11th at 6:45 p.m. in the school gym. A member from each family must attend this mandatory meeting or a fine will be charged as per the Policy Handbook on Page 10 of your child’s Agenda. If you are unable to attend due to illness, vacation, etc., a letter must be sent addressed to the Parish Education Committee explaining why you will be absent from the meeting. Registration packages will only be available for pick up at the Annual General Meeting. Please note the packages will not be given out prior to the meeting.
MARCH 13, 2020 – GREEN COLOUR DAY
Students will have an opportunity to dress down in green coloured clothing. Please add a donation to your Lent boxes.
MARCH 13, 2020 – DESK CLEAR OUT
Please send a large black garbage bag to school with your child on Friday, March 13th. The students will need the bag in order to clear out their entire desk for Spring Break cleaning. This does not pertain to Kindergarten or Grade One.
MARCH 13, 2020 – REPORT CARDS
Report cards will go home on Friday, March 13th. Please ensure you check your child’s bag and Communication Folders.
MARCH 16 – 27, 2020 – SPRING BREAK
The school will be closed for Spring Break the weeks of March 16th to March 27th. School will reopen on Monday, March 30th. We would like to wish all families a safe and healthy Spring Break.
MARCH 31, APRIL 2 and 16, 2020 – NO EARLY MORNING PEER TUTORING
Early Morning Peer Tutoring will not be held on March 31st April 2nd and April 16th.
MARCH HOT LUNCHES
|Thursday, March 12, 2020
|Teriyaki Rice Bowl
APRIL 1-3, 2020 – CLOTHING DRIVE
Please note we will be having a Clothing Drive after Spring Break! Time to clear out your closet over the break.
Drop off Dates:
April 1st – 8:00-8:45 a.m., during Student Led
April 2nd 8:00-8:45 a.m., 3:00-3:30 p.m.
April 3rd 8:00- 8:45 a.m.
Donations we take:
Lightly used and clean
- Clothing for men, women, and children
- Accessories (belts, hats, scarves)
- Shoes and boots
- Under garments, nylons, and socks
- Towels, tablecloths, and curtains
- Blankets, bedding, and pillows
How to Bag Donations:
- Fill standard black garbage bags (26” x 36”)
- Minimum 16lbs & Maximum 20lbs
- Mark bags red, blue, green or yellow team
APRIL 1, 2020 – STUDENT-LED CONFERENCES – 12:00 P.M. DISMISSAL
On Wednesday, April 1st the Student-Led Conferences will be held from 1:00 p.m. to approximately 5:30 p.m. Please refer to your child’s confirmed scheduled time that will be sent home with report cards. There will be 12:00 p.m. dismissal and NO After School Club on this day.
APRIL 1, 2020 – REGISTRATION PACKAGES DUE
Registration packages are due Wednesday, April 1st. Please drop off the registration package at the office prior to going to the Student-Led Conference.
LASERMASTER GAME + MATHEMATICS PROGRAMME – REGISTRATION OPEN
Registration is now open for the 3rd Lasermaster Adventure which begins on Thursday, April 9th and will end on Thursday, June 18th (11 classes). The link to the new enrolment form is as follows: https://lasermaster.com/collections/our-lady-of-sorrows-school
GRADE 7 FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
- Bottle Drive– The Grade 7 Fundraising Committee’s Bottle Drive is ongoing! We ask that you help support our fundraising efforts by returning your bottles in the transparent bag supplied to you with the pre-printed label containing our account number on it to an Express Depot near you. Just drop off in a designated drop zone and go! If you require more bags, please email email@example.com stating how many labelled bags you would like, with your oldest child’s name and their grade.
*You may also use your own transparent bags and print labels at your local Express Depot using the school’s phone number (604)253-2434. Simply attach the label to your bag, drop and go!
- April 4, 2020 – Grade 7 Fundraising Pub Night – CANCELLED
The Grade 7 Fundraising Committee has decided to cancel the Grade 7 Pub Night due to the ongoing spread of the COVID-19 virus. First and foremost, it is important to understand that there are still no known cases of COVID-19 among the staff, students, and parents of Our Lady of Sorrows School. We are taking this step as a precautionary measure. Refunds will be issued after Spring Break.
OUR LADY OF SORROWS PRESCHOOL
We continue to accept registration for both the Three-Year-Old and Four-Year-Old Preschool classes for the September 2020 – June 2021 school year. For further information, please contact the school at 604-253-2434 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
All reminders are now located on our website under the recently added Newsletter section. Please check this section periodically for updates.
For the safety of the students, please ensure all students are picked-up and dropped-off in the respective areas.